5 Things you can do right now to be more sustainable
I’m assuming if you’re reading this, you already practice in at least some sense the ideals of the phrase “Reduce, reuse, recycle”. At least I hope you do. Alot of people who are just now becoming aware of their own personal affect on the planet want to know what are some things we can do right now to make a difference. Here’s five things you can do today, and make a habit of practicing to do your part.
2) Drink tap water. At minimum, stop drinking bottled water. All of that plastic is waste. If you don’t want to drink the tap water at your house, invest in something like this for the household or maybe a few of these to keep the water you drink clean, and away from plastic bottles.
2) Change your light bulbs. Time to get with the times and save some energy with CFL light bulbs. This is another one things you should be doing anyway because it saves you money every month as well.
2) Opt out of unwanted mail. For starters, switch as many of you bank accounts and monthly bills over to digital statements rather than paper. It’s more convenient these days and eliminates waste. The next step is opting out of all the mailing lists for different companies sending your junk mail. Catalog Choice is a free service that allows you to log in and opt out of all the different mailing lists you don’t want to be on. By performing these two steps, I think you will quickly notice how less cluttered your mailbox will be, not to mention your life.
3) Start a garden. Plant some vegetables in your back yard and grow your own food. Or better yet become a member of a community garden, or start one.
5) Unplug electrical devices when not in use. Many of the most common things we have plugged in to our walls the majority of the time still drain energy even if their not being used. Things like cell phone charges, laptops, and cameras should all be unplugged after use. This isn’t just being energy conscious, it’s also going to save you money on your next electricity bill.